Guest Blogger: Love Notes from the Fickle Monester, Part 13

Dearest Friends and Strangers and Sisters,

Wear yourselves out.
Wear out your toes and your lips. Wear out your elbows, your thighs, your feet, your lungs.

Wear out your hands. Wear out your hearts.

About one month ago an old man died, and I listened to his son talk about the father's life. The son said there was one thing he knew for certain about his father: he truly wore his body out. He wore his body out. What a perfect eulogy to a life lived completely. May we all wear out bodies out.

Somedays, I really do not like working hard. I would prefer to be lazy, surprise! Quite often, the idea of letting my mind and body settle into a stasis. I justify and whine and sleep and settle. Sometimes running in 100 degree weather or working circuits or being patient with my students or considering the possibilities of love really seems impossible. More often than I wish, I just don't like sweating or moving or thinking or loving, but at the end of my life, I really hope someone will say, "Cora truly wore her body out."

I suppose we weren't given these temples to waste. We weren't given these souls to misuse. We were given to use, to roam, to learn, to grow, to laugh, to move, to sweat, to work, to love, and  to weep.

We were given to wear out.

So work hard, friends.
Do not stop. Be tireless and fearless.
Wear your bodies out. Wear your minds, hearts, and souls out.
Don't you waste a single bit of this precious give; I dare you.

Love,
The Fickle Monster

P.S. My dad and I are running the Chic-Fil-A 5K tomorrow morning! Our confirmation emails always have quotes, the following is my favorite; Steve Jones (who is really important for something) said, "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough."  See, Steve Jones wants you to wear it out too!
I'll post some pictures; it's going to be hot.
Also, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY. Did you know it was once called Decoration Day? Shall we all remember and honor men and women who have certainly worn their bodies out for us.

 *************************************************

Cora Ruth Flottman is the best friend, college room8 and a complete inspiration to Sheila.

She is an actress, teacher, christian, lover of the written word and men who can change the tires on a car.


The Fickle Monster and mama on her 25th anniversary of life.

She blogs here almost every Friday.

Comments

Popular Posts