Guest Blogger: Love Notes from the Fickle Monster, Part 6

Practice makes perfect, Cora.

Eugh. Really? Thanks, I understand.

On Sunday, I run my very first half marathon. By run, I simply mean the peppy jog I have aquired through months of training. I have practiced, prepared, prepped. While I am not perfect, I will complete the half marathon with achy hips and feet, and I will probably cry.

Practice.

One year ago, I could barely jog for five minutes, two minutes, THIRTY SECONDS. No lie. I started the Couch to 5K program, sweat like a man, and grumbled through the interval training. I did not hate it, but I didn't wake up thinking, "Gee, I can't wait to put on my running shoes and take some laps." But I did it, almost every day. I practiced, relentlessly. I set the achievable goal of running a 5K in November, and based on that success, decided to sign up for the Shamrock Half. When I tell people I am doing this, their responses are funny:

"You are a glutton for punishment."
"I could drive 13.1 miles."
"Is that a good idea?"
"Don't you think that is a little extreme."
"You? Really?"
"Wow, I'm proud of you."

Naturally, I am nervous. What if I have to pee, and I end up wetting myself at mile 9? What if I just can't make it? What if it takes me 4 hours? What if my hips kill or a bear attacks me or my brain falls out of my ears? I could come up with any  number of things to be FREAKED OUT about, but I breathe and remind myself: practice. My practice is relfective of how I wish to perform.

I did not practice speaking Spanish or eating potatoe chips or dancing the Tango in order to run this half marathon. I practiced breathing, pacing, focusing, and simply moving in order to make this happen in my life. I think so often we actively practice for things which do not align with how we wish to perform.

Do I want to learn how to love others more? Practice.
Do I want to bake tasty cupcakes? Practice.
Do I want to write a Pulitzer Prize piece of fiction? Practice.
Do I want to speak French fluently? Practice.
Do I want to race in a Triathalon? Practice.
Do I want to memorize scripture? Practice.
Do I want to live a Godly life? Practice.

We will never arrive without practice.
We may never arrive, but practice for the positive.
Practice for the impossible.
I dare you.   




Cora Ruth Flottman is the best friend and college room8 of Sheila. She is an actress, teacher, christian, lover of the written word and men who can change the tires on a car.

She blogs here every Friday.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Cora,

I have so enjoyed your blogs. You are a great writer, I could only wish to write that well.

I commented on another blog, but it didn't go through hopefully this one does.

I take your dare. Having been an athlete in college, practice was essential. I'm not sure why as I have grown and matured, I have gotten lazy. There is a part of me that expects immediate results and habits to form over night. Sometimes I think getting older doesn't mature us, it forms complacency. Thanks for the reminder.

Love you Shelia - you beautiful ladies have a great day. You too Cody.

Diane Turner

P.S. I have gotten up each morning this week worked out, had my quiet time and a delicious bowl of oatmeal. Practice!
Sheila said…
Diane, you are great! You can do it!!! Maybe we can get NGU to host a 5k this fall for homecoming and we'll run it together!
Anonymous said…
I LOVE that, practice for the positive, practice for the impossible!

thanks Sheila for "hosting" her. And I DOOO read your blog other days than fridays ;)
Julianne Carson said…
Cora, my sweet, bold, eloquent friend. I love to hear your heart.

I am so proud of you for facing this 13-mile beast, and for just "getting off the couch". I hope I have the guts to do that myself eventually.

Thanks for always inspiring me!

Popular Posts